Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day Twelve

What to write about today. I exercised. I did weight training with Rob this morning, had breakfast, read a new book (from the library), and then did TDS. Now I am sitting, drinking an after-workout drink (courtesy of Laura, my sis-in-law), and blogging. Hmmm. Yesterday I had a big problem with energy. Laura told me that potassium helps with lack of energy. Unfortunately I don't have anything in the house that has potassium in it. At least not that I know of. The only things that I know have potassium are bananas and sea salt. I have neither. Anyone have any ideas...
The previous times that I have done exercise programs, about a week in I start to crave greasy food. I didn't this time, at least not a week in. Yesterday was a different story. I really wanted greasy fries or a pizza or something unhealthy like potato chips, they at least would have given me sea salt... :) I am proud to say that I ignored the cravings. Yay for me. I've noticed that my will power has been stronger since I've started this workout regime. Increasing my will power was a non stated goal for me as part of this regime. I've always wanted to increase my will power to do hard things. If something was hard, I 'd more often than not just ignore it or not do it. This has been hard, and I have kept going. That is progress.
Sorry if this post is disconnected. My brain is a little disconnected. So, it makes sense.

5 comments:

Robert Aird said...

Please don't disconnect your brain, you need it connected. Awesome on the workouts! I try and chew sugarfree gum which helps me forget I am hungry. Keep it up!

Dad said...

Hello Julie:
Let me see if I can help, just a little. 1) Good food sources of potasium: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
There are lots of them, although my favorite is bananas. Potatoes, white beans, dark greens, mushrooms, avocados, salmon, and yogurt. All are easy to get into your diet. Although Potassium is important, every source is telling people they aren't getting enough. I've become skeptical on this point.
2) The best energy I've found come from endorphans through exercise. Some people call it a second wind. It is real! It really helps with workouts too. You just have to persist until you find them. Then there is no looking back.
3) cravings are important, and not just to ignore or control. They usually are a signal that your body is missing something. Jane often craves chocolate. We don't know why, could be the cafeine. But we all have cravings that can at least be partially satisfied by similar foods. I've never had a greasy craving, but often a craving for carbs. That is very common! Substitute is my watchword. I eat tons of popcorn, which is a very "empty" food so long as you go light on butter and salt. It takes a long time to eat much, and it is a whole grain. PLEASE don't go to pizza or fries. But if you do, let it be never more than once per week.
4) Will Power. What is it, and from whence will it come? For me, I work so hard to burn off 3500 calories (= 1 lb.) that I look at the calorie count of any tempting food and think about the time it will take to burn it. For example, I really need to chew something last evening. I turned to my almonds, but realized that the small package I ate had 350 calories in them. They are "good" calories, but still that equals 30+ minutes on my bike. Since I try to burn 1000-1500 calories during exercise, adding a few nuts added 30 minutes to my two hour workout. Weigh that sort of trade-off, and will power becomes something very different your heard.
Julie, you are doing great. And the rewards are many, not just weight loss. There is real joy, and growth through doing hard things. But you already know that. Just remind yourself often, and help your husband be true to his goals, and you will find the rewards you seek. I know it!
Ken

Dad said...

P.S. I've very sorry my google tag says "Dad"
I'm hoping everyone knows I am really uncle, not dad.

Amber said...

Yeah Juli! way to beat the cravings and keep going on your goals!

Laura Rollins said...

Will power is one of the best benefits of exercise, I think. Keep it up! You rock!